Tuesday, September 1, 2009

North Carolina

Okay you guys, we made it. And there is so much to report, I feel bad it's been so long.

1-Our apartment. Small and cute, second floor, with all windows facing the busy complex swimming pool. This is not my favorite feature. As of this moment, I can hear kids playing some crazy tag game that involves a lot of squealing. But it hasn't been such a big deal. I mean, who really cares if it's noisy during the day? Everyone is really good about leaving when it gets dark except for this one large man who murks in the pool after hours and always creeps us out. But it should cool down soon and be less of an issue. Right...? Right?

2-Christopher's first couple weeks at Duke. Awesome. He's made friends, become a Stats 101 TA, and is even challenged with homework occasionally, which is great. He works really hard at school and then comes home every night to hang pictures.

3-The job hunt. Yikes. The market here isn't great, and there are all kinds of rumors about hiring freezes and high competition for the few jobs that are available. But I'm doing fine-I've applied all over the place and work hard to find a job every day. And I'm taking the time without employment to fix up our apartment and become acquainted with NC. Also to watch America's Next Top Model...don't judge.

Every day gets a little easier. I'm getting used to the lack of Mexican food available both at restaurants and grocery stores. Maybe I can turn my attention to the overabundance of Asian stuff instead. The weather is graciously cooling down a little. We're being nice to people and making friends. But we miss Utah like crazy!

5 comments:

Lauren Kay said...

Yay! Welcome to the East Coast! I'm going to come down and visit sometime too. Good luck with the job hunt! I hope you are able to get something sooner rather than later!

Mandy said...

Aww Miss... I hope you can find a job! Chris is such a good sport about hanging pictures after working all day. I miss you guys!

drewandlacey said...

someday soon we'll come visit and then we can all swim with creepy murking man..... :)

Jessica said...

Utah sure as heck is missing you.

Unknown said...

1. yep it will cool down and then the large man will hopefully chill somewhere out your eyesight...:)

2. sounds just like Chris at BYU:)

3. sounds just like the job market here!

4. I bet if you look around you will be able to find where they sell Mexican food!

good luck and have fun!:)