Tuesday, January 12, 2010

lucky shirt

Guys, I took the GRE yesterday. It wasn't fun, and I felt like throwing up at various times throughout the exam, but I did alright! I scored a little higher than I thought I would in the math section, and a little lower in the verbal. Kind of surprising. But my overall score is great, and I am so so relieved to have it behind me.

I credit my success to two things. One-Christopher. He bravely worked on math stuff with me, even when I got frustrated or sad. He quizzed me on vocab words and helped me think of memory tricks for the ones I couldn't ever remember. Sometimes he would read next to me while I studied, just so he could be close when I had a question. For the past week he cooked, cleaned, and did grocery shopping so I could take practice tests. He took me to the testing center yesterday even though it was thirty five minutes into Raleigh, just so I wouldn't get flustered trying to find a new address and place to park.

Two-Christopher's lucky t-shirt. I'm the first person besides Chris to ever put this on. But it has gotten him through the ACT, SAT, GRE, multiple actuarial exams, plus a killer final he took last month in theoretical probability. (Yikes). And seeing as how he has done...well....really great on all of these tests, always wearing his powder blue math shirt, it was really gracious of him to entrust it to me. And I know how dorky this is, but the shirt actually made me feel better during a few moments of the test when I felt hopeless.


Christopher took a picture of me before we left. He was having a rough time getting a smile out of me because duh, I was leaving to take the GRE, and also, truthfully, I felt a little nerdy in his lucky shirt.

9 comments:

Lauren Kay said...

I'm so glad you did well. I like the shirt. And you look cute. If I ever take the GRE I'll have to get some study tips from you. But for now I love not having to do anything like that.

drewandlacey said...

that is the cutest thing! i love that you are wearing the famous shirt. and of course you did well. you are way more brilliant then you give yourself credit for.

Jessica said...

Hahahaha, this made me laugh and smile. I was going to call, but didn't want to overwhelm you.
YAY! Miss! Congrats!
You look smokin in the blue.

Allison and Mason: said...

You guys are so stinkin' cute. I love the lucky shirt.

Mandy said...

Haha! I think you look really cute in the powder blue. Can I borrow it?

p.s. Of course you rocked the GRE! You are way smarter than you give yourself credit for.

Oops, I just realized Lacey wrote it, but oh well. It's true.

Unknown said...

Congrats Melissa - I am so happy you have that behind you and that you did well! It was nice of CJ to lend you his shirt - I can understand how you felt a little like Wonder Woman wearing it. And for some unknown reason - I started crying a tid bit when I read this post -- I think because it makes me so happy that you and CJ found each other -- talk to you soon - love lexi
oh and i had to use the challisphotos username because i dont even have a google account if you can believe that...

Elder and Sister Challis said...

Congratulations! We have been cheering for you. The lucky shirt--does that ever bring back memories! Christopher must really love you to let you wear it--and you must really love him to wear it. Way to study and take care of each other.

Dori said...

Congratulation!!! I love that Chris let you wear his lucky shirt. Tell Chris thanks for taking such good care of you. I love you both.

Hillary said...

Thank you for making me smile. Congrats on the test. I was cheering for you. I think i should find me a lucky charm.