Monday, February 15, 2010

Valentine's Day

We had the best V-day. I made a huge mess making Christopher dinner, and he woke up extra early today to clean it up. Want to know what I attempted? Filet mignon with bleu cheese, carrot souffle, pan roasted pears served over frisee letttuce, and chocolate molten lava cakes with dulce de leche ice-cream. I gave the dinner a 3.25 out of 4. Christopher gave it 3.99. He says it's because I wouldn't let him give it a 4 but I know better.



Here's the thing. When the lighting was dim, I could tell that the steak was on the rare side. But when we turned the lights on to clear the dishes, my leftover steak was still on my plate and it looked a lot like it did before I took it out of the package....and before I cooked it....yeah. But on the plus side, the carrot souffle was divine, the pears turned out great, and the molten lava cake's weird texture and flavor was drowned out by the hagen daaz ice-cream.

After dinner we watched "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir" which sounds spooky but is actually quite romantic. It features a widow who falls in love with a ghost that haunts her seaside cottage. Kind of hard for me to relate but...whatever.

I love that Christopher will wake up extra early to clean the dishes. I love that he knows I prefer tulips to roses, and I love that he washes down raw steak and weird cake with huge gulps of sparkling cider just to spare my feelings. Happy Belated Valentines!

6 comments:

Lauren Kay said...

That dinner sounds delicious (even if you say it didn't turn out exactly right)!

drewandlacey said...

i love that your flowers are in your pitcher! i did the exact same thing. :) wish you could come be my cook.

Jessica said...

If both of you are still alive then I bet the steak was fine. And everything else sounds delish.
You guys are a really really cute couple. `

Dori said...

You always underestimate yourself. You are the best cook ever. I do hate red meat though. It always tastes better in the dark. Haha

Mandy said...

I bet it wasn't as bad as you say. It sounds amazing. It's cool you even attempted it.

And that movie? Haha! I want to see it now.

Unknown said...

That sounds like a great night! I think I would have liked your steak - I like mine on the rare side - "don't be heavy on the hand" is a saying in our family to not overcook a steak.
Our valentine's day was not as exciting - mitch had to work all day and night at the hospital and I was in florida. Your's was definately better :)