Sunday, February 28, 2010

Primary

Hey everyone, it's Chris. Melissa still hasn't made me an official contributor on this blog (though it bears my name, too), so I have to hijack her account every now and then.

Today our primary class, while par for the course for us, just had too many moments for me to not record a few of them.

Primary President: Here kids, everyone take a magnifying glass.

Boy 1, looking at me through glass: You look huge. You look huge and boring.

Most of the rest of sharing and singing time were spent helping Boy 2 depict the various escapades of Batman, as usual. He really likes to draw (and misbehave) but doesn't always trust himself to make things as look as good as he would like, so here's how it went today:

Me, whispering: What do you want to draw?

Boy 2: Draw Clayface right here. Do you know what Clayface looks like?

(It happens that I do, of course.)

Me: Sure, he's kind of lumpy and oozing, right? How does this look?

Boy 2: Pretty good. I wanted one of his arms to be a hammer, though.

Me: Oh, well we can change that, it's not too late.

Boy 2: Do it.

Me: Okay, how's that?

Boy 2: Pretty good--now draw Batman over here. Have him swinging from his gun that shoots swings and make him punching Clayface.

Me: Got it.

Boy 2: Clayface can grow more arms for himself, so draw another arm throwing clay at Batman.

Me: Done.

Boy 2: Do you know how to draw a bat-a-rang?

Me, insulted: Of course!

Boy 2: You're really good at drawing Clayface and Batman!

This is the most sincere (only?) praise I've gotten from him--I guess my pictures of the Joker, Scarecrow, and Man-bat in previous weeks haven't really been up to snuff. Maybe I'm really getting better, but I'll let you be the judge.






8 comments:

Melissa said...

You didn't mention that I made the goopiest batch of salt dough in existence, and that I dyed it orange before giving each kid a handful. That classroom will never be the same.

Dori said...

I love it. You two have got to be the best primary teachers in the world. Chris I think your drawings of batman are awesome.

drewandlacey said...

wow chris! i had no idea about your batman drawing skills. gotta love primary....

Mandy said...

Haha "You look huge and boring." He sounds like a handful. But your picture is pretty good, I'm impressed.

Jessica said...

That kid was being sincere, because your drawing was way good!
Your salt dough kinda sounds gross Miss, but for primary kids, I'm sure they loved it.

Hillary said...

Ditto, considering my aristic/drawing abilities, I think your batman was amazing. I also have to say, think you ARE huge (as in tall) but never boring. I miss you guys. Hope all is well.

Lindsey said...

Well, the Cheej, I think your drawing is just fantabulous considering that you were working under such pressure to produce. I hate it when people tell me what I have to choreograph...jk. :)

Unknown said...

CHRIS stop corrupting those kids in church!