Saturday, February 27, 2010

Work


My sister Mandy has a few really great posts about loving one's own self--she's really easy to love, so that isn't very surprising. But lately, I've been having to teach myself what this means.

I started a new job on Monday, and it was a tough week. I work for someone very important at Duke hospital, and there are so many new things to learn, I still don't sleep well at night, knowing I have to face another day in the morning.

The first day on the job, a woman called to say that her husband's guts were falling out of his stomach...I told her to call 911. It was scary.

Sometimes people are mean.

I make a lot of mistakes. I know that the people I work with probably talk about those mistakes, maybe even laugh about them.

So starting about Wednesday, I started thinking about my sister's posts. About how she loves herself in spite of certain flaws--or rather, because of certain flaws. (She doesn't actually have any of those, but whatever). It's actually what got me through the end of my week. I kept telling myself that I was fabulous, even when my coworkers were rolling their eyes when I asked how to make coffee, or when I thought I looked kind of chubby in my new work pants.

I know that things will get better at work. I know that soon I'll be wishing that I had new things to learn, because I'll be bored with the old stuff. But I just don't ever want to forget that new people--whether they are new at work, or at school, or at church--are trying to remind themselves that they really are great, despite what they may be feeling at the moment. And I really hope that I can be there to help them out.
unrelated photo: of course

6 comments:

Mandy said...

Miss - I'm so sorry your job has been hard.I will pray for you this week, because I know how hard that can be. And I'm glad my posts helped a little. I think when you are having hard times you need to love yourself more than ever. Call me when you have time. Love you!

Dori said...

I think you are fabulous and you shouldn't think otherwise. I love how you are able to do hard things. Work is hard, and so often life is just plain hard. I am proud of the woman you have become. I love you.

drewandlacey said...

Starting a new job is probably one of the hardest things ever. You have been fabulous. And I am certain you looked absolutely adorable. You always do.

Chris said...

Yes, she looks adorable every morning when she gets ready for work. And love, thanks for being such a champ about all of this.

Jessica said...

Miss, who wouldn't love you?!
I have never met anyone who doesn't have the NICEST things to say about you. (ahem, except for sister pierce maybe)Your coworkers are probably so grateful you don't have nasty coffee breath, and try to remember all the good stuff about you! because we love you!

Lindsey said...

Melissa! I know that my response is late, but I just have to tell you that I not only think you are great, but i actually know it. How do I know this? Because you have one of the best senses of humor that I have ever encountered, you have a way of making other people feel like a million dollars because you are so considerate, and you are incredibly talented. In fact, I wish that you were here to help me decorate my condo..yikes! :)